Blue Plate Special

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Since we moved in, I’ve been debating what to put over the sofa in the family room. The room has tall vaulted ceilings, so I knew I couldn’t just put a dinky looking picture on a very large wall.

For awhile, I thought I was going to do something like this with some antique plates:

IMG_3366

Source

sofa-booklamp_300

Source

I never actually got around to looking at or buying any plates, so when I saw big red shelf at my favorite little antique store at the end of Main Street in Newark, I jumped at the chance to buy it with the idea of putting it above the couch and switching out seasonal decorations. However, I still thought that the little shelf alone would be dwarfed on the huge wall. The solution: some antique plates on either side!

Luckily, I share my mom’s love for antiques and decorating, and she bought me a beautiful blue plate that dates back to the 1890’s. Of course I made Adam hang up my shelf as soon as I got home and then I jumped on Ebay and Etsy and managed to snag three more coordinating plates to flank either side of the red shelf.

Here is the final product:

Plate Edit

DSC_0885

1 comment:

Dru Ann @ a Fine Farmhouse said...

I Love what you did . I looks great ! The blue plates are a great mix with the red shelf and folk art pieces. Oh, a few of those things look very familiar :-)
Great job !
Enjoy !