That's a man's job....

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

One of the questions on the 100-question pre-marital "test" that Adam and I had to take was about the roles of a man and a woman in a relationship. We had to put an "M" next to the responsibilities that the man should take on in the marriage and an "F" next to the role that the woman should take on. You could also put a "B" for both.

I don't consider myself a very liberal woman, in fact, I didn't really enjoy those women's studies classes that I took in college that bashed women who gave up careers to stay home with children and made divorce seem like it was an Ok thing to do. Of course I want to be successful and have a good job, but I also want to be a good wife and Mom (someday). Sure, there are some "M" and "F" jobs in a marriage, but there are also alot of "B" jobs.

Anyway, since we filled out this "test" 3 months ago, Adam and I have joked about that question. For instance we both put "car maintenance" as being a man's responsibility, so when the XM radio in my car didn't work, I said to Adam, "you need to fix it...car maintenance is a man's job".

Last night, at 10:00 P.M., Adam was sitting out in my car in the cold, tinkering around with the circuit box on the dashboard while attempting to hold a flashlight and talk to the XM radio representative on speaker phone. I looked out there, saw his legs hanging out of the car and I felt bad that he was out there making a valient attempt at fixing it after he had been at work all day.

I felt so bad, in fact, that I put on my jacket, grabbed the dog, and went outside to help. So, the car maitenance job became a "B", even if all I did was hold the flashlight.

post signature

6 comments:

Carrie Davis said...

I can't remember what Judd and I said was M, F, or B. But, those roles change all of the time - especially when little ones come along. :) That was sweet of you to go out and help, though.

Nicole said...

More and more jobs are becoming a both job, because behind every great man is an even better woman... :)
Hahah. No its true though, in this day in age those rolls really are sort of ambiguous. Hope all is well. Miss you!

LauraAnn said...

Awe! That was so sweet!

Even though some jobs are more F's or more M's it is more fun for most jobs to be B's because then you get to do things with the one you love the most! Great post!

Toni said...

That sounds so interesting. You should save your answers and take the test again in 10 years to see how things have changed.

I completely agree with your thoughts...Even though I was a women's studies minor and consider myself a feminist, I still feel that being a stay at home mom is a full time job that gets very little respect in our culture.

PS Everyone that visits me loves your save the date magnet on my fridge :)

Sara said...

The most important thing is that you work together and respect each other as people first. That was really nice of Adam to do because he knows it is important to you. And, it was really nice of you to do because you love him and want to help him. Somtimes marriage is 50/50, sometimes 70/30 and sometimes 90/10. You have to be willing to bend.

Love,
Me

Cara said...

Absolutely precious. I'm glad to hear that you and my brother are taking good care of each other! <3