Sometimes I hate my life

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

And today is one of those days.

All day yesterday, everyone in the Baltimore region was diligently watching the area weather. Snow, followed by ice and freezing rain equals a nightmare for anyone who A) has a dinky car that sucks in the snow B) is completely and utterly petrified of driving in the snow and ice and C) lives in an apartment complex and therefore has no covered parking.

At work on Tuesday, I felt like I was back in elementary school again...
Employee A: "Are we going to get out of work early?"
Employee B: "Oh it looks really bad out there"
Employee C: "Maybe we'll have off tomorrow!"
All day long, that is what I heard from my coworkers.

This morning when I woke up to my 5:30AM alarm, called the emergency line and heard that it was business as usual, and then looked out my window and into the skating rink that was the parking lot and the snow and ice encapsulated object that was my car, the truth hit me like a ton of bricks: there aren't snow days in the real world. Oh crap.

I bet the person in charge of calling off or delaying work at this office gets to park in a nice garage and doesn't have to take the metro into the city every morning.

After trekking down the snowy/icy grass to get to my car (because I would have lost a limb trying to teeter down the un-salted, concrete steps), cleaning off the 2 inches of snow and 1/4 of an inch of ice off of my poor, innocent Civic and safely making it to the Metro station, I thought I was in the clear! That was, until I stepped on the pathway leading up to the metro and did one of those slow motion falls that you see in the movies. Seriously, I wish I had a video to post of it: feet flying up from underneath me and me landing as hard as humanly possible on my rear end. It hurt. Very, very bad. And then I cried the rest of the way up the pathway, through the turnstile and onto the train.

Upon entering the office, I realized that only 5 other idiots decided to brave the trip in like me.

Sometimes life sucks.


post signature

5 comments:

Carrie Davis said...

OH NO!! Poor, poor Rachel. I hope your tush is feeling better. You should just move to Atlanta. It's warm, so we rarely get snow/ice - and when we do, we shut everything down.

Aunt Sally said...

Sorry Rachel....I hope your day is getting better. You could work for Calvert and have off today!!! YIPEEE

Cara said...

Aw, Rachel! I know exactly how you feel. I actually have a phobia (really, I think it could be clinically diagnosed) of winter weather. Snow I'm semi-okay with, but I have mild panic attacks when I see that the ground is covered in ice. I was actually gonna write a blog on that myself, but you stole my idea! Looks like I have to think about something else to blog!

Globetrottingbride said...

Oh no!!! That is bad news! I have a friend in Baltimore and she said she was trapped in her house for days! Hopefully the end of winter is near! I'm ready for summer already...

Drena said...

I'm so sorry, but that was pretty darn funny! You remind me of Bridget Jones!! (i mean that as a compliment since I think she is very charming!)