Full of it

Friday, June 4, 2010


WARNING: THIS POST IS NOT DIRECTED TOWARD ANYONE IN MY BLOG AUDIENCE.

Do you have someone in your life that you avoid like the plague simply because they are so incredibly full of themselves? You know that if you so much as say "good morning" to them, they will launch into a huge soliloquy about how their day is going, what they did last evening, what they had for breakfast, what their children had for breakfast, what nail polish is on their toenails and what color lipstick they're wearing today. OK, so I might be exaggerating, but people like that have really been bugging me lately. Do you ever want to say to them, "_________, do you really, honestly think that I care about what you just said?".

I consider myself a pretty good listener and most of the time I remember things that are going on in people's lives: coworkers, family, friends. But sometimes it's frustrating when a person doesn't inquire anything about you in return, or everything that you say somehow turns into something about them. Sometimes it's nice to hear, "Rachel, what are you doing this weekend?" or "What do you think about this?" instead of, "Oh, you're going to the beach this weekend? When I went to the beach last weekend I almost got eaten by a man-eating jellyfish...blah blah blah."

The jelly fish probably got sick of listening to them too.

1 comment:

LauraAnn said...

Haha! My brother is one of those people. The worst part is I work with him so every morning I get to listen to his loooooong drawn out explanation of how his morning is.