DIY Planter Boxes

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

2012-10-02 05.26.51 A few weeks ago when Adam was out of town in Austin, my Mom came to visit and spend the day with me.  While we were out, we saw some adorable planter boxes that I thought would look great on the front porch.  The downside?  They were $50 each.  Unable to fork over $100 for two wooden boxes, I went home and began researching.  Before long, I came across this tutorial.

I mentioned the idea to Adam when he got home from his trip and while he didn't seem incredibly excited about yet another project, he agreed to look at the plans.  On Sunday, we went over to 84 Lumber to pick up the wood we needed for the job.  We came home and got to work and within three hours, we had all of the wood cut (I even used the electric saw)  and one box put together.  We called in quits just in time to watch the Steelers game and finished the second box the next day.

Over the course of the next week, I painted the boxes Soldier Blue with milk paint and finished up with three coats of sealer to protect the wood from the elements.  Last night, Adam lined the boxes to prevent the dirt from slipping through the cracks and today I was finally able to put plants in them!

I am happy with the statement they make in the front of our house and I'm pretty sure they could withstand a category five hurricane or a fall from a ten story building.  The best news of all?  We were able to build both of the boxes for about $40...less than the cost of one of planter boxes I saw for sale.  Ours our alot more attractive, plus, we're proud of the work we put into them.

What do you think? 2012-10-02 04.59.11 By the way, can you find the praying mantis that photobombed my picture?

No comments: