Ch-ch-changes

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

A couple months ago, Adam called me from the airport when he was on his way home from a work trip in Austin, Texas. His boss, he informed me, was planning on leaving the current company and starting his own business. He asked Adam to join him as one of its founders. As he told me about this new opportunity, I couldn’t help but think that we had just gotten settled in Newark with our house the way we wanted it and the bank account back to where it had been before we wrote the check for the down payment. We were enjoying life, settled into jobs and done with grad school. I was happy in the routine daily life. Why does it always seem that when you’re just getting comfortable, something changes?

Adam and I discussed this opportunity for hours, researching what it would mean for him and for us as a couple and a future family. While he was still happy in his job, he wasn’t sure that it was leading him where he wanted to go. From the beginning, I was worried about stability of this new position, as well as the fact that there is a chance this idea could fail. I was focused on the negative aspects of the opportunity, while he was dreaming about all of the future possibilities.

A few weeks ago, my opinion started to shift when I saw how excited Adam was about this new adventure. I realized that I have to trust his judgment and know that he would never purposely do anything to jeopardize our stability. He deserves to be challenged in his career. So, after five years in his current company, he is switching gears and becoming one of the founders of a new start-up.

We know it is going to be a crazy year, but we’re looking forward to all of the opportunities ahead.

1 comment:

Toni said...

How exciting!! Congratulations and Good Luck to Adam with his new career opportunity!! I'm sure this will be a very exciting time for you both!