Saying Goodbye

Friday, December 31, 2010

proposal shot.2

Today was probably up there with one of the hardest days of my life thus far. For the past two days, Tobey needed to pee constantly. When he wasn't standing by the door for us to take him out, he was hiding in his cage because he had peed inside. Today, we decided to take him to the vet because we thought he had a bladder infection. When we got there, the vet did an X-ray and determined that he had some pretty serious stones in his bladder. If they didn't do emergency surgery, he was going to die over the weekend. The surgery cost thousands of dollars.

So, we made the very difficult decision that at this point in time, we couldn't pay for the surgery. We said goodbye to Tobey. Saying goodbye to a three year old dog that you have raised from the time he was a puppy was so incredibly difficult. He was an amazing dog and we loved him so, so much. I know nothing will ever be able to replace him. I just keep remembering him run through the door with my engagement ring tied around his neck and then Adam getting down on one knee. I thought he was going to be the dog that our kids played with someday.

I know it's going to be really hard for a while. Even coming into the apartment was really hard, but I know it was the best thing for us at the moment.

002

5 comments:

Drena said...

SO very sorry. I lost a dog very suddenly on Halloween and it has been so difficult. Thinking of you and Adam.

Sally said...

Rachel I'm so sorry. I know you must be having a very hard day. We will see you both tomorrow.

A.J. and Lauren said...

I am so sorry to hear about Tobey! We lost 2 dogs, and my cat in a year, and it sucks! It's just awful! So sorry!

Carrie Davis said...

So sorry. Mom and I felt so bad for you yesterday. It is awful to lose a dog. Hope you guys are doing OK today.

Toni said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Losing a dog is so hard. Sending lots of love to you and Adam.